"GREENER, SMARTER, MORE SUSTAINABLE"
GO stands for Green Operations. GO Group is an independent, pan European and cross industry think-tank to inspire people in the music festival and events industry to run their operations greener and smarter.
At MaMa the GO Ggroup will present great examples in event sustainability that make clear why green issues need to be top of the agenda in every field of society.
The topics show how diverse and wide the field is and will cover all the three core issues of sustainability: environmental, economic and social aspects.
- Energy efficiency and a smart power management should be crucial for a successful event, but there's still a long way to go. Renewables, smart grids, capacities - a lot of information needs to be at hand and to be worked. The European project EE Music (Energy Efficient Music Culture) aims to raise awareness, school the players and lead the events scene on ity way to a more efficient use of power.
- Festivals and concerts are in the main focus of the youth and young grown-ups today. These events are brands themselves and have the power to change minds and do good things. The impact they cause is not only economic it should be very social, too. Using the example of Roskilde Festival, we will show case how an event can really involve and shine on people ... for good.
- You are what you eat - even in the events industry. Tons of food are catered to millions of visitors and there are shiny examples of how to make it in a quality way. We are happy to showcase a french festival for this topic: We Loive Green and its "Conscious Food Program". Local procurement, fairtrade, organic produce - just three of many topics to be mentioned and looked at.
- Other projects like Love Youre Tent - a campaign to stop the abandoning of tents and camping gear at festivals will be shown as well in this session.
"GREENER, SMARTER, MORE SUSTAINABLE"
Access: Restricted to MaMA delegates (subject to availability)
Yourope members ( now more than 80 of the most well-established european festivals) are dedicated to improving the European festival scene in terms of: • working conditions • health and safety issues • environmental awareness • exchange of knowledge and information • promoting the cross-border exchange of live music talent.
Yourope also focuses on other key issues for festivals – such as exchange of information regarding marketing and sponsorship, contracts, production riders or radio/TV/internet rights and more.
After several workshops in 2012–2014 and under guidance from music lawyer Ben Challis, the Yourope standard terms for artist contracts and a standard agreement are available.
- Since 2006, with the YES GROUP – YOUROPE EVENT SAFETY GROUP workshop, Yourope has organised fifteen health & safety seminars for festival security, crowd management, health, safety and production staff from across Europe. These seminars and workshops have had a growing impact on health and safety in recent years and helps to disseminate good practice amongst the festivals and deliver a safety culture across Europe.
- Green issues with the GREEN‘N‘CLEAN program and GO GROUP (GREEN OPERATIONS EUROPE) workshop mark one of the main topics for Yourope. Since 2006 the association offers its members a broad range of environmental guidelines for music festivals and an online tool to go along with them. Festival organisers are given customised advice and reiceve the prestigious "Green‘n‘Clean Award“ by fulfilling the Yourope standards. So far, almost 40 Yourope members from 13 countries have achieved the award.
GO Group (Green Operations Europe) is an independent, pan-European, cross-industry think-tank to inspire people in the music festival to run their operations greener and smarter. Several international workshops were organized in cooperation with hosting Yourope members. Go Group is also sponsoring the Green Operations Award in the European Festival Awards which highlights festivals that have made a significant contribution to developing more sustainable events.
- Yourope is also a founding partner of the European Talent Exchange Program (ETEP) with Eurosonic Noordeslag. ETEP stimulates the circulation of European artists within Europe by performing at selected festivals troughout Europe. The result is impressing: Every year more than 200 confirmed shows by over 70 unique European artists from at least 20 countries at the now 90 - and counting - ETEP festivals! Due to financial support from the European Commission for the next years Eurosonic Noorderslag, Yourope and all other participating partners will be able to continue the already successful ETEP program and develop it.
- Yourope and Festival Awards Ltd. worked in co-operation with Eurosonic Noorderslag to launch the European Festival Awards in October 2009. The 5th edition of the Festival Awards Europe (with 14 categories) took place in January 2014 in the context of Eurosonic Noorderslag at Groningen (NL). Over 650‘000 public votes were cast in the voting period at the end of 2013.
GO Group was initiated by Bucks University (Teresa Moore), Green Music Initiative (Jaciob Bilabel), GreenEvents Conference (Holger Jan Schmidt) and Yourope (Christoph Huber / The European Festival Association) at the first GreenEvents Conference end of 2010. Since then it evolved into a unique platform for exchange of ideas and best practises on an international basis. Workshops, conference contributions and initiative support in almost all parts of Europe make GO Group the strongest sustainability related open network in Europe today.
GO Group was part of EurosonicNoorderslag (NED), Medimex (ITA), Reeerbahn Festival (GER), Nuits Sonores (FRA), GreenEvents Europe (GER), Green Events & Innovations (UK), Berlin Music Week (GER), Amsterdam Dance Event (NED) and organized workshops in Amsterdam, Budapest, Paris, Helsinki, Oslo, Novi Sad, Berlin an Vienna. The network brought together more than 150 festivals with suppliers, scientists and experts during the three years of its existance.